Have you ever tried to make a statement of your “core beliefs”? Not something as general as “bravery” and “honesty” but something specific. This is my VERY SMALL starter list; I’m sure I will add to it.
What’s on your list? I would love to hear.
My core beliefs:
- Separation of church and state is essential. Neutrality in the public sphere is protective of all. [Short version: “Religious freedom.”]
- I’m pro-choice when it comes to abortion and other reproductive rights. [Short version: “Bodily integrity.”]
- I value democratic socialism when it comes to healthcare, housing and food. Also the things that we take for granted: A safe and adequate transportation infrastructure, for example, or fire and police protection. I would rather pay higher taxes so all people have the basics than see others suffer — especially since I’m too low-income on my own to make a difference for them.
- We must have full equality for all citizens when it comes to marriage, sexuality and gender identity.
- There is no god, based on the evidence I have seen (and I have looked), and I do not expect to change my mind. But I remain open to the possibility if new evidence emerges (factual, scientifically rigorous, and intelligently examined evidence). [Short version: “Atheism.”] I am 100 percent at peace with the fact that others have different beliefs but become protective when their beliefs intrude upon my rights or the rights of others.
- Continous learning keeps a person young at heart and growing in both heart and mind.
- Communication, tolerance, courage and kindness are essential to all close relationships, but particularly in marriage. If you “never argue,” that’s not a particularly good thing, either.